Life & Career
Fellowes was promoted to the rank of Acting Lieutenant with a seniority of 24 March, 1863 in recognition of his gallantry in lifesaving on the occasion of Ariel's pinnace being upset on 16 January. He was also awarded the Royal Humane Society's Bronze Medal for this deed.
He was appointed a Member of the Third Class, or Companion, in the Military Division of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (C.B.) on 25 August, 1885.
Fellowes commanded the ironclad battleship Northumberland in the Annual Manoeuvres of 1890. His ship was part of Fleet Number 1 playing the role of the Royal Navy fending off attacks on British trade routes.
On the occasion of the King's birthday, he was appointed an Ordinary Member of the Second Class, or Knight Commander, in the Military Division of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath (K.C.B.) on 9 November, 1903.
Fellowes was promoted to the rank of Admiral on 26 November, 1904, vice Drummond. In accordance with the provisions of the Order in Council of 8 December, 1903, he was placed on the Retired List at his own request on 8 June, 1905.
- "Admiral Sir John Fellowes" (Obituaries). The Times. Tuesday, 23 September, 1913. Issue 40324, col C, p. 9.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/86.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/36.
- The National Archives. ADM 196/15.
Arthur E. Dupuis
|Captain of H.M.S. Hero
18 Jul, 1889
William H. C. St. Clair
George T. H. Boyes
|Captain of H.M.S. Alexandra
28 Aug, 1889
Arthur D. Fanshawe
Armand T. Powlett
|Captain Superintendent, Sheerness Dockyard
1 Jan, 1894
John C. Burnell
Armand T. Powlett
|Second-in-Command, Channel Squadron
19 May, 1897
John W. Brackenbury
- The Navy List. (October, 1878). p. 576.
- The London Gazette: no. 24018. p. 4255. 19 September, 1873.
- The London Gazette: no. 24808. p. 504. 3 February, 1880.
- The London Gazette: no. 25505. p. 4050. 25 August, 1885.
- "Naval Intelligence." The Times (London, England), Saturday, Jul 19, 1890; pg. 12; Issue 33068.
- Clowes. VII. p. 7.
- The London Gazette: no. 26585. p. 7. 1 January, 1895.
- The London Gazette: no. 27297. p. 2022. 22 March, 1901.
- The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 27613. p. 6851. 9 November, 1903.
- The London Gazette: no. 27740. p. 8290. 2 November, 1904.
- The London Gazette: no. 27804. p. 4187. 13 June, 1905.
- The Navy List. (March, 1892). p. 197.
- Clowes. The Royal Navy. Vol. VII. p. 7.
- "Naval & Military Intelligence" (Official Appointments and Notices). The Times. Tuesday, 24 April, 1894. Issue 34246, col B, p. 10.