Oswald Tylston Hodgson

From The Dreadnought Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Commander Oswald Tylston Hodgson, O.B.E. (1 January, 1880 – 19 February, 1937) served in the Royal Navy.

Life & Career

Born in Harpenden, the son of Henry Tylston Hodgson, Esq..

Hodgson left Britannia in mid January 1896 and joined Blake for one year in the Channel Squadron. He then sailed in Anson in the Mediterranean for two years.

Hodgson was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 31 December, 1901.

Hodgson was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Commander on 31 December, 1909.

His successive terms in command of H.M. ships Skipjack, Wear and Seagull spanning from mid-1912 through the end of 1914 dealt with fishery patrol in the North Sea were captured in photos taken by Surgeon Alfred Bernard Clark, who followed Hodgson between these ships during this period as war loomed and broke.

Hodgson was promoted to the rank of Commander on 31 December, 1914, having been sent to the hospital ship China two weeks previously. In January 1915 he was diagnosed with glycosuria[?], and was placed in Haslar Hospital but soon sent to receive private treatment. He was declared fit on 18 February, 1915 and took on work for six months as a naval assistant in the Hydrography Department.

In 1919, Hodgson requested permission to retire with the rank of Captain and was told he was not eligible. Asking more time to consider his retirement without promotion, he was recommended for promotion by Admiral Learmonth in June 1920 and took six months time on half pay.

He was placed on the Retired List at his own request on 17 January, 1921.

In 1928, he was ordained a clergyman in the Church of England.

See Also

Naval Appointments
Preceded by
Hubert E. Gore-Langton
Captain of H.M.S. Waveney
29 Feb, 1912 – 1 May, 1912
Succeeded by
Owen T. H. Phillips
Preceded by
Charles E. Lloyd Thomas
Captain of H.M.S. Skipjack
29 Jul, 1912[1] – Nov, 1913
Succeeded by
Lionel G. Preston
Preceded by
Frederic G. Schurr
Captain of H.M.S. Wear
9 Aug, 1913[2] – 5 Mar, 1914
Succeeded by
Henry M. Fothergill
Preceded by
Harold E. Denison
Captain of H.M.S. Seagull
5 Mar, 1914[3] – 16 Dec, 1914
Succeeded by
Harold de G. Lamotte
Preceded by
John D. Nares
Naval Assistant to the Hydrographer of the Navy
21 Feb, 1915 – 28 Jan, 1916
Succeeded by
Arthur W. Torlesse
Preceded by
Senior Naval Officer, Great Yarmouth
28 Jan, 1916 – 30 Nov, 1919
Succeeded by
Vincent P. Freeman
as Naval Officer in Command, Yarmouth
Preceded by
Wilfrid M. Bruce
Senior Naval Officer, Lowestoft
Aug, 1919 – 30 Nov, 1919
Succeeded by
Preceded by
Edward B. Cloete
Naval Assistant to the Hydrographer of the Navy
20 Jan, 1920 – 5 Jul, 1920
Succeeded by
Charles W. Tinson


  1. The Navy List. (November, 1913). p. 374.
  2. The Navy List. (January, 1914). p. 397.
  3. The Navy List. (April, 1914). p. 372.